Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe was given to me by a dear friend. My husband often enjoys it and requests that I make it often.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, minced
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons wasabi, prepared
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 whole green onion, sliced fine
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons tobiko (flying fish roe)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 12 mussels
- panko breadcrumbs, Japanese bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to: Broil, top heat, 500°.
- Prep ingredients: Ingredients are for about a dozen New Zealand Greenlipped, or two dozen Black Mussels. If using fresh: quickly saute in a hot pan with a touch of oil until they pop open. Remove from pan. Pull meat from mussels, slice into three pieces and place back into mussel half. If using precooked frozen, remove meat from mussel half, cut into three pieces and place back into mussel half. Arrange in a large baking pan, broiler safe.
- For dressing and cooking: Combine all ingredients. Place about a tablespoon of dressing over each mussel half. Sprinkle with a little Panko. Broil until bubbly and lightly browned. Remove from baking pan and top with green onion.
- Tobiko can be found in the freezer section at most asian markets.