This recipe is from the "Japanese Cooking Class Cookbook" by the editors of Consumer Guide.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut beef into 1/8 inch thick slices.
- 2Cut slices into strips about 1 inch wide and 2 or 3 inches long.
- 3Cut green onions crosswise into 1 inch lengths.
- 5Wash rice with cold water.
- 6Cook rice with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 2 3/4 cups of water.
- 7About 10 minutes before serving, heat remaining 1/4 cup water, the mirin and soy sauce to boiling over medium high heat.
- 8Add beef and boil until beef reaches desired doneness.
- 9Add green onions and boil 30 seconds.
- 10Remove from heat.
- 11Divide rice among 4 individual serving bowls.
- 12Place equal amounts of beef and onions over rice in each bowl.
- 13Ladle equal amounts of cooking liquid into each bowl.
- 14Serve immediately.
- 15Note: I sometimes add a litte ginger, garlic, pea pods, green beans (cooked), bamboo shoots or water chestnuts to the mix.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Japanese Beef and Rice Bowl (Gyudon)
Serving Size: 1 (443 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 584.1
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 51.0 mg
- Sodium 1444.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 29.2 g