Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from the "Japanese Cooking Class Cookbook" by the editors of Consumer Guide.
- Cut beef into 1/8 inch thick slices.
- Cut slices into strips about 1 inch wide and 2 or 3 inches long.
- Cut green onions crosswise into 1 inch lengths.
- Wash rice with cold water.
- Cook rice with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 2 3/4 cups of water.
- About 10 minutes before serving, heat remaining 1/4 cup water, the mirin and soy sauce to boiling over medium high heat.
- Add beef and boil until beef reaches desired doneness.
- Add green onions and boil 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat.
- Divide rice among 4 individual serving bowls.
- Place equal amounts of beef and onions over rice in each bowl.
- Ladle equal amounts of cooking liquid into each bowl.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: I sometimes add a litte ginger, garlic, pea pods, green beans (cooked), bamboo shoots or water chestnuts to the mix.