Sizzling Steak ( Chinese)
Simple and wonderful. Adapted from chinese cooking class cookbook
- Ready In:
- 500 g thinly sliced steak
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 onions
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- Peel onions and cut into wedges. Beat the thinly sliced meat slightly with a meat mallet.
- Mix the water and baking soda, pour over steak and leave to stand 1 hour.This helps to tenderise the meat, But not an essential step.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan or wok . cook onions until nice and caramelised. Remove the onions from pan and arrange on a plate.
- Add 2 tbsp oil to the pan ,add the drained steak and cook over high heat to dry the water and brown the meat.
- Add the sauces, wine and sugar to the pan with the steak . Return to the boil,reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Spoon the meat over the onions and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was a decent recipe, but I found just a little too sweet for me. Also, I found the sauce too thick and tomatoey - I would make this again, but would reduce the amount of ketchup, reduce the amount of sugar, and add some chicken broth to thin it out. I really liked the onions. Served over rice. I used rib eye steak sliced for bulgogi, which made this very fast to cook. I did not marinate, as rib eye is so tender. If you like tomatoey sauces with your meat, you will like this quite well.Reply