Mexican Rice Bowl With Black Beans & Greens
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
BEANS and GREENS
- 1 lb black beans, rinsed and picked over
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 6 cups chard leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 Hass avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled queso fresco or 1/2 cup feta cheese
Prepare black beans:
- Place beans in a bowl, add water, and soak for at least 4 hours.
- Do not drain.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add half of garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add beans and soaking water.
- If beans are not covered by about 2 inches of water, add more.
- Bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat to low, skim off any foam that rises.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add salt to taste, the remaining garlic and cilantro.
- Continue to simmer for 1 1/2 hours, until beans are quite soft and broth is thick and fragrant.
- Stir in greens and simmer for 5-10 minutes until leaves are tender, and prepare steamed rice.
ASSEMBLE THE BOWL:
- Spoon rice into deep or wide bowls.
- Top with black beans and greens, making sure to ladle in plenty of broth.
- Garnish with avocados and chopped cilantro.
- Top with salsa and sprinkle with cheese and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>As of 6-14-2013 DH will be completing his tour in Trinidad, which has been a wonderful adventure; and returning home to Dayton, WA. We'll miss all our friends and time there, but looking forward to enjoying home life on the ranch for awhile, while we see what the next adventure might bring.</p> 8726453"