1/3 Photos of Jansson's Temptation (Swedish Potato and Anchovy Casserole)
1 hr 25 mins
I found this on another website researching Swedish recipes. I love to make it and not tell people it has anchovies in it until after they rave about how good it is. The anchovies melt into it to make a sauce. It has such a yummy flavor! Here is a quote from the recipe: "Jansson's Temptation is a classic Swedish dish traditionally served before guests leave to ensure that during their cold journey home they have something warm inside them."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large skillet cook the onions in 2 tbsp of the butter over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until they are golden.
- 2Preheat oven to 400.
- 3In a buttered 2 1/2- 3 quart shallow baking dish (13x9 works well), layer 1/3 of the potatoes, 1/2 of the onions, 1/2 of the chopped anchovies, salt and pepper to taste, 1/3 potatoes, 1/2 onions, 1/2 of the chopped anchovies, salt and pepper to taste, last third of potatoes.
- 4Drizzle the top of potatoes with the reserved oil from the anchovy can (about 2 tbsp.) and dot them with the remaining 1 tbsp of butter cut into bits.
- 5Bake the casserole on the middle rack for 10 minutes.
- 6Pour 3/4 cup of the cream over the potatoes and bake the casserole for 20 minutes more.
- 7Pour the remaining cream over the casserole, reduce heat to 300, and bake for 30 minutes more or until the potatoes are tender.
- 8Great served with anything that goes well with a potato side dish.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jansson's Temptation (Swedish Potato and Anchovy Casserole)
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.6
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 62.8 mg
- Sodium 230.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 5.2 g