Recipe by Trinkets
The best grilled vegetables with taste! Most grilled vegies get soggy and taste like the dressing or marinade used with them rather than the taste of the vegie. This recipe gives you the opposite. Use whatever vegetables you like to grill and whichever herbs you have on hand or even citrus in place of the basil. This is from Jamie's Kitchen.
Top Review by Millie1981
I LOVE this recipe! I can't believe I forgot to review it. I've made it several times and it's a favorite. I microwave the eggplant (cut up) for about 10 minutes and boil the fennel (also cut up) for 10 minutes, then toss all the veggies with a little EVOO and cook on the grill together on medium-high heat for about 30 minutes. Then, I toss the grilled veggies with the basil oil. The flavor combination is perfect!
- 2 red peppers
- 2 yellow peppers
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 eggplant
- 8 baby leeks
- sea salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch basil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash your vegetables.
- Heat the grill or griddle pan, put the whole peppers on and get them black on all sides.
- While still hot, put them in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave to cool.
- Slice the zucchini 1/4" thick and do the same to the fennel, reserving the herby tops.
- Grill the zucchini and fennel together on the grill for about a minute on each side, or until nicely charred. You don't want them too black or too raw.
- Remove to a clean dish towel in one layer, making sure they don't sit on top of each other or they will steam and get soggy.
- Cut the eggplant across into slices 1/2" thick.
- Grill the slices, turning 4 times to get the nice grill marks.
- Remove to the towel.
- Boil the baby leeks in salted water until they're just cooked.
- Drain and rub with a little olive oil, and grill until lightly marked.
- Peel the peppers and cut into strips.
- Put all the grilled vegetables into a big bowl.
- Take about 1/4 of the basil leaves and bash them with a mortar and pestle with a good pinch of seasoning until you have a smooth pulp.
- Add about 8 TBS of extra virgin olive oil and the vinegar, to taste.
- Pout this over the vegetables and toss quickly so that everything gets coated in the lovely basil oil, then throw in the remining basil leaves.
- Slice the garlic really thin to give you a delicate flavor and add to the bowl along with the fennel tops.
- Mix everything together, and serve on a large plate at room temperature.