Prep 2 mins
Cook 25 mins
This dough is a very unique recipe I created from a Turkish recipe of mine called poagca (po-a cha) Adjust the filling to your likeness, and put as much as you like inside. I included a beef filling recipe but it's also great with chicken & potatoe curry mix too. You can also omit the tumeric from the dough, and use this recipe and stuff with feta, scallions, and parsley YUM!
- 8 g active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup Crisco, cold put pliable
- 3 eggs, room tempature
- 1 -2 lb ground beef
- 1 medium choppped onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons curry
- 1 teaspoon chilly chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup water
- For the filling.
- In a large pan cook beef and onions till brown, add spices, breadcrumbs and water.
- Continue to cook for 3-5 minutes, the breadcrumbs will absorb the water( you may need to add more water) Adjust to your likeness.
- Let cool until dough is ready.
- For the starter-mix the yeast, flour and water (first 3 ingrediants)in a medium size bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rest in a warm place for 1 hour.
- For the dough.
- sift the flour, tumeric and salt in a large bowl, with a pastry blender add the butter or crisco till it become like small pea size.
- now add the eggs to the starter and wisk them together.
- Add the yeast and egg mixture to the flour.
- Stir until it froms a ball and then knead for a few minutes.At this stage the dough doesnt look the nicest but it will turn out!
- Divide the dough in 20 peices.Roll into balls and place on a tray, let rest for 30 minutes ( or you can refridgerate till later use).
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a few baking trays with parchment paper.
- on a lightly floured surface roll out the balls of dough in a oval shape about 8-10 in long.
- Add filling to one half fold over and seal edges with a fork, continue until you have 8 patties on each cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden.