1/2 Photos of Jalapeno Sweet Potato Soup
1 hr 20 mins
Miss Annie's Note:
This is a great soup with a twist. It makes a great evening meal during fall and winter. It is from the Peach Tree Tea Room Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno juice
- 1 teaspoon comino (cumin)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaf
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1In a large stock pot, saute bacon and onion in butter until just tender.
- 2Add garlic and cook about 2 more minutes.
- 3Add sweet potatoes, chicken broth, pickled jalapeños, jalapeño juice and comino.
- 4Cover and cook until potatoes are tender (approx. 20 to 30 minutes).
- 5When done, add soda, cilantro and milk.
- 6Coarsely mash potatoes with a potato masher.
- 7Stir well and re-adjust salt and pepper.
- 8Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 9NOTE: You may garnish with sour cream and 3 or 4 fresh jalapeños, cut in thin lengthwise strips.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jalapeno Sweet Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (4356 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 178.2
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 9.1 mg
- Sodium 769.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: