Recipe by mollypaul
A zesty BBQ sauce posted in response to a recipe request.
Top Review by foxysnana
Ok first off, I used Jim Beam instead of the Jack, but that is a preference thing for us. I have made this at least 3 times, I have finally figured out that 1/2 cup of the whiskey is a good amount for us. I also found that it is ok without the tomato paste, as I forgot it the first time I made it. In fact I prefer it without the tomato paste. I also add just a bit more whiskey at the end to thin it just a bit. The longer it sits, the better it tastes. Will keep in the refrigerator in a covered container for a while. I have used this for the grill and for chicken wings for a party. Usually have some of this on hand now. Very easy and quick to put together.
- 1⁄2 large onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed firmly
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- Jack Daniels Whiskey (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the onion and garlic with the whiskey (start with a small amount... you can always add more to taste) in a large saucepan; cook until translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered until reduced and thickened, approximately 20 minutes.