Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is FROM SCRATCH - like my grandmother used to make it. Brings back GREAT childhood memories!
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, cut in half
- 1 carrot
- celery top
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 quarts water
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1⁄4 cup cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1 egg
- 2 slices bread, soaked in milk (sm. amount)
- In large kettle combine chicken breasts, onion, carrot, celery tops, salt and water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken, cook and cut into small pieces.
- Strain broth and return to kettle.
- Add to broth- 2 ribs celery, cut small; 2 carrots, grated; 1 onion, diced; 8 chicken bouillon cubes.
- Simmer 30 minutes, then add to broth: 1 head endive, cleaned and shredded and par boiled 1 minute in salted water; drain.
- Add cubed meat and meat balls (see below).
- Before serving, while soup is simmering add very slowly: 2 well beaten eggs to soup.
- Stir constantly.
- Serve with flavored croutons.
- Meatballs: Mix ground beef, parsley, cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, basil, egg and bread pieces together and shape into 1/2 inch balls.
- Drop into pan of boiling water 5 minutes.
- Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add to Italian wedding soup along with cubed chicken.
- I like to add some homemade pasta noodles or pastine if you don't have a pasta maker.
This soup is awesome!!! I made a huge pot of it and invited the neighborhood over after Trick or Treating. Everyone (yes even the kids) raved about it for days afterward! The only thing I did differently was I made my own stock and used spinach. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful recipe!
the kids loved it.
Wonderful soup! The only change I made was using a whole chicken instead of 4 chicken breast. My family loved it and I will definitley make again! Made for PAC - Fall 2008.