Recipe by Tonkcats
Also sometimes called 'Mexican wedding cookie', 'Russian tea cakes', or 'butterballs', can also be shaped into crescents. You can also substitute pecans and they are very good as well. This is the best version of these I have ever seen, it was given me by a friend who grew up in central Europe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter or 1 1⁄2 cups margarine, unsalted
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups almonds, finely ground
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (plus 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- confectioners' sugar (extra)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Cream butter or margarine in a bowl, gradually add confectioners' sugar and salt. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add almonds and vanilla.
- Blend in flour gradually and mix well.
- Shape into balls (or crescents) using about 1 teaspoon for each cookie.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets, and bake for 15-20 minutes. Do not brown.
- Cool slightly, then roll in the extra confectioners' sugar.