Recipe by AB_Fan
A tomato and chicken broth based vegetable soup with Italian seasonsings. Delicious! Makes 10 1.5 Cup servings.
Top Review by FloridaNative
VERY GOOD SOUP ~ made quite a large pot too! I added a bit too much ditalini to it, so it puffed up full of pasta :( but that was my fault. Very good flavors, lots of vegetables ~ our kind of soup. Thanks AB_Fan ~ made for MY 3 CHEFS, November 2009!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (kosher is best)
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 2 small potatoes, chopped (or 1 medium potato)
- 5 cups tomato juice
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup green beans (frozen or fresh)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 1⁄2 cups small shell pasta (cooked and drained)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sautee onions, celery, and carrots in oil. Stir in salt to make a sweat. Cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes until onions are translucent and carrots and celery are softened but not mushy.
- Add remaining ingredients except peas and pasta. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add pasta and peas. Cook until heated through.
- (optional) You can add one or two chicken bouillon cubes if desired during cooking. If you desire a thinner soup, you may also add water (okay) or additional chicken broth (preferred).
- Remove bay leaf before serving. Bon appetit!