11 hrs 20 mins
This is a wonderful crock pot meal. I serve it with soft creamy polenta for a great meal. We usually just scoop the sauce right out of the crock without reducing. It tastes great either way. The browning of the meat and vegetable really adds a lot to the flavor. Don't skip this step! If you use regular bacon, you may need to drain off some of the fat before adding the tomato and wine. This came from a cookbook called Delicious & Dependable Slow Cooker Recipes. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 lbs beef roast (such as chuck roast)
- 2 ounces pancetta or 2 ounces regular bacon
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thinly, including the leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick (about 2-inch long)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and sliced in half
- 1Preheat your crock pot to High heat.
- 2In a large skillet, heat oil over med-hi heat. Add roast and brown well on all sides.
- 3While roast is browning, chop pancetta or bacon into small pieces.
- 4Chop onion, carrot and celery as well.
- 5Mince garlic.
- 6Place browned roast in crock pot.
- 7Reduce heat in skillet to medium and add the pancetta, onions, carrots and celery to pan.
- 8Saute until starting to soften. Then add garlic, salt, pepper, cinnamon stick, cloves and bay leaves.
- 9cook and stir for 1 more minute.
- 10Add tomato paste and wine. Stir and bring to a boil.
- 11Pour over roast in crock and turn roast to make sure it is coated on all sides.
- 12Cover and cook on Low for 10-12 hours or Hi for 5-6 hours.
- 13When meat is done, remove to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
- 14Pour sauce from crock into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until it is reduced by about 1/3. Taste for seasoning.
- 15Remove bay leaves and cinnamon stick and cloves if you can.
- 16Add olives and heat through.
- 17Serve sauce over meat.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Style Pot Roast (Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (327 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 870.8
- Calories from Fat 565
- Total Fat 62.7 g
- Saturated Fat 24.4 g
- Cholesterol 208.6 mg
- Sodium 736.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 56.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: