1/2 Photos of Italian Stuffed Chicken
1 hr 5 mins
I created this one evening when I wanted to make a romantic meal. It's not very difficult to make but the stuffed chicken is beautiful. Serve on a bed of spinach or with a lovely green salad on the side.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 200 g fresh spinach, washed
- 200 g mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 (400 g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and sauté half of the chopped onion until soft.
- 2Add the spinach and continue cooking over a medium heat, adding a touch of water if needed, until the spinach is wilted.
- 3Take off the heat and let cool for a moment, before stirring in just over half of the mozzarella cheese.
- 4Cool until you can comfortably handle the mixture.
- 5Meanwhile, cut a slit lengthways along each chicken breast but be careful not to cut them in half.
- 6You want to end up with a little pouch in each one.
- 7When the spinach mixture is cool, stuff each breast with as much of the mixture as you can.
- 8You may not use it all.
- 9Cover the chicken with some cling film and set in the fridge while you make the sauce.
- 10Heat some more olive oil in a saucepan and sauté the remaining onion and jalapeno pepper until soft.
- 11Add the chopped tomatoes, water, stock cube and oregano.
- 12Simmer for about 10 minutes until the flavours blend and the mixture starts to thicken.
- 13Stir in the tomato paste, season with salt and pepper and let simmer a few minutes more until you have a fairly thick sauce.
- 14Preheat the oven to 180 C or 350 degrees F.
- 15Put enough sauce in a casserole dish to cover the bottom.
- 16Lay in the chicken breasts and then cover with the remaining sauce.
- 17Bake for 40-45 minutes, then pull out of the oven briefly to scatter the remaining mozarella cheese on top.
- 18Turn on the grill and cook just until the cheese is bubbling and browned.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Stuffed Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (488 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 353.3
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 115.1 mg
- Sodium 853.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 40.2 g