I created this one evening when I wanted to make a romantic meal. It's not very difficult to make but the stuffed chicken is beautiful. Serve on a bed of spinach or with a lovely green salad on the side.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 200 g fresh spinach, washed
- 200 g mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 (400 g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and sauté half of the chopped onion until soft.
- Add the spinach and continue cooking over a medium heat, adding a touch of water if needed, until the spinach is wilted.
- Take off the heat and let cool for a moment, before stirring in just over half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Cool until you can comfortably handle the mixture.
- Meanwhile, cut a slit lengthways along each chicken breast but be careful not to cut them in half.
- You want to end up with a little pouch in each one.
- When the spinach mixture is cool, stuff each breast with as much of the mixture as you can.
- You may not use it all.
- Cover the chicken with some cling film and set in the fridge while you make the sauce.
- Heat some more olive oil in a saucepan and sauté the remaining onion and jalapeno pepper until soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, water, stock cube and oregano.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes until the flavours blend and the mixture starts to thicken.
- Stir in the tomato paste, season with salt and pepper and let simmer a few minutes more until you have a fairly thick sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C or 350 degrees F.
- Put enough sauce in a casserole dish to cover the bottom.
- Lay in the chicken breasts and then cover with the remaining sauce.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, then pull out of the oven briefly to scatter the remaining mozarella cheese on top.
- Turn on the grill and cook just until the cheese is bubbling and browned.