1/2 Photos of Italian Stuffed Bell Peppers --Plus a Meatloaf
1 hr 45 mins
Mimi in Maine's Note:
This is a OAMC recipe as you can have both--a Meatloaf and Stuffed Peppers. This is the most delicious meatloaf recipe I have ever had. I love Meatloaf and I love Stuffed Peppers. I had tried many recipes for Stuffed Peppers and although they were O.K. I was never totally happy, UNTIL I came up with the idea for this. I made a meatloaf and used a portion of the mixture to make the stuffing for the peppers. Result--the best of both. You can keep everyone happy. Don't be discouraged if this looks involved--it really is not, but you are making two meals. (NOTE--I measure for the meatloaf, but for the peppers I just add what I want.) Enjoy!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
MEATLOAF (makes a big one)
- 3 3/4 lbs hamburger
- 2 slices bread, made into crumbs
- 1/3 cup oatmeal
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
SAUCE (for the meatloaf)
- 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
ITALIAN STUFFED PEPPERS
- 4 -6 large green peppers
SAUCE (for the peppers)
- olive oil
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can water
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 dash basil
- 1 dash oregano
- 1 dash parsley
- salt and pepper
STUFFING (for the peppers)
- 1For the Meatloaf, combine all of the ingredients and mix well (I use my hand for this).
- 2If you are making JUST the MEATLOAF, form it in a 9x13 greased pan and bake 400 degrees for 1 hour, basting with the pan juices.
- 3For the MEATLOAF, combine the MEATLOAF SAUCE ingredients in a saucepan, and heat on the stove to serve warm over the Meatloaf slices at the table.
- 4If you are making the ITALIAN STUFFED GREEN PEPPERS you will also get a meatloaf out of this.
- 5For the ITALIAN STUFFED PEPPERS cut the tops off the peppers and clean them out.
- 6Cut the tops up to use for the sauce.
- 7Put these in a pan with a little olive oil along with the onions, and garlic--simmer till done.
- 8Add the tomato sauce and simmer while you are preparing the stuffing for the peppers.
- 9Cook the rice according to box directions.
- 10Also, cut a tad off the bottom of the peppers so that they will sit in the pan and not tilt (don't cut through to the inside).
- 11Mix 3-4 cups of the Meatloaf recipe mixture, Parmesan cheese, garlic, a little of the sauce, and the cooked rice in a large bowl--adding the rice till it looks like the amount you like (I eyeball most all of the ingredients).
- 12Stuff the peppers and place in a pan on which you have already put a layer of sauce.
- 13Put some sauce over the tops of the peppers.
- 14Cover with foil.
- 15Form the rest of the mixture into a loaf as directed above.
- 16Bake both at 400 degrees for about 1 hour or till done.
- 17Now you have 2 meals--freeze some if you like.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Stuffed Bell Peppers --Plus a Meatloaf
Serving Size: 1 (415 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 548.3
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 211.1 mg
- Sodium 1362.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 45.6 g