Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a OAMC recipe as you can have both--a Meatloaf and Stuffed Peppers. This is the most delicious meatloaf recipe I have ever had. I love Meatloaf and I love Stuffed Peppers. I had tried many recipes for Stuffed Peppers and although they were O.K. I was never totally happy, UNTIL I came up with the idea for this. I made a meatloaf and used a portion of the mixture to make the stuffing for the peppers. Result--the best of both. You can keep everyone happy. Don't be discouraged if this looks involved--it really is not, but you are making two meals. (NOTE--I measure for the meatloaf, but for the peppers I just add what I want.) Enjoy!!
MEATLOAF (makes a big one)
- 3 3⁄4 lbs hamburger
- 2 slices bread, made into crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup oatmeal
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
SAUCE (for the meatloaf)
- 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
ITALIAN STUFFED PEPPERS
- 4 -6 large green peppers
SAUCE (for the peppers)
- olive oil
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can water
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 dash basil
- 1 dash oregano
- 1 dash parsley
- salt and pepper
STUFFING (for the peppers)
- 3⁄4-1 cup parmesan cheese, to taste
- 1 garlic clove, minced (or dry garlic can be used)
- 1⁄2 cup raw rice, cooked
- For the Meatloaf, combine all of the ingredients and mix well (I use my hand for this).
- If you are making JUST the MEATLOAF, form it in a 9x13 greased pan and bake 400 degrees for 1 hour, basting with the pan juices.
- For the MEATLOAF, combine the MEATLOAF SAUCE ingredients in a saucepan, and heat on the stove to serve warm over the Meatloaf slices at the table.
- If you are making the ITALIAN STUFFED GREEN PEPPERS you will also get a meatloaf out of this.
- For the ITALIAN STUFFED PEPPERS cut the tops off the peppers and clean them out.
- Cut the tops up to use for the sauce.
- Put these in a pan with a little olive oil along with the onions, and garlic--simmer till done.
- Add the tomato sauce and simmer while you are preparing the stuffing for the peppers.
- Cook the rice according to box directions.
- Also, cut a tad off the bottom of the peppers so that they will sit in the pan and not tilt (don't cut through to the inside).
- Mix 3-4 cups of the Meatloaf recipe mixture, Parmesan cheese, garlic, a little of the sauce, and the cooked rice in a large bowl--adding the rice till it looks like the amount you like (I eyeball most all of the ingredients).
- Stuff the peppers and place in a pan on which you have already put a layer of sauce.
- Put some sauce over the tops of the peppers.
- Cover with foil.
- Form the rest of the mixture into a loaf as directed above.
- Bake both at 400 degrees for about 1 hour or till done.
- Now you have 2 meals--freeze some if you like.