Recipe by sbfan10
I got this recipe out of a magazine some time ago. It is a hearty one-dish meal that will keep you going back for more.
Top Review by Leah Barnard
OMG this is the BEST stew ever!!!!! I doubled the recipe and used 2 packs of Johnsonville mild italian sausage (I removed casings)and it turned out sooooooooo good my bf couldn't stop raving about it (or eating it!)
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced (about 1/8-inch to 1/4-inch)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (9 ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 small zucchini, sliced (about 1/8-inch to 1/4-inch)
- 1⁄3 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender. Drain. Add garlic; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, carrot, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Gently stir in the tortellini, zucchini, green pepper and parsley. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tortellini is tender. Serve with Parmesan cheese.