Recipe by LARavenscroft
This is a recipe that I found in "The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook" by Majorie Hurt Jones. The original recipe does not call for ground beef and I have adjusted the amount of vegetables in the recipe as well.
Top Review by Hill Family
I made a few changes based on what I had on hand. I used a green bell pepper and fresh herbs. I used fresh tomatoes and lots of them. I also didn't have or rather couldn't find balsamic vinegar so used red wine vinegar instead. This made for a kind of sweet sauce. I also added a pkg of sauce mix as I had used tomato sauce instead of paste. Oh and finally rather then letting this cook on the stove for 2-3 hours I placed it in the crock pot and cooked it on medium/high for 3 hours.
- cooking spray
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I used Dei Fratelli Seasoned DIced Tomatoes)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (or water)
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Spray w/oil.
- Add ground beef, onions. celery, red pepper and garlic.
- Saute` until beef is no longer pink and veggies are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally for 1-3 hours.
- If sauce becomes too thick, thin with a little water.
- Remove bay leaf and serve with your favorite pasta.