Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Gooseberry Patch More Gifts for Giving.
- 1⁄2 cup dried pinto bean
- 1⁄2 cup dried pink beans
- 1⁄2 cup dried kidney beans
- 1 cup small bow tie pasta, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- Layer beans in order listed in a 1-quart wide-mouth jar; set aside.
- Place pasta in a plastic zip-lock bag; gently pack on top of beans; secure lid.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a small plastic zip-lock bag or small jar; pack both jars or jar and zip-lock bag together in a basket; include cooking instructions.
- Cooking instructions: set the spice mixture and pasta aside; pour the beans in a mixing bowl; rinse with water and drain.
- Cover the beans with water; let soak overnight; rinse, drain, and pour into a 5-quart Dutch oven; add in 8 cups water, a 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes, seasonings in jar or bag, 1 cup sliced carrots, 1 cup sliced celery, 1 cup chopped onions.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat, and simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- Uncover and gently boil until thickened (about 35 minutes).
- Stir in pasta; heat about 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
I fixed this for my hubby & son today. Their only complaint was where's the meat. I thought it was delicious without meat - I don't even like meat! I did increase the box tie pasta to 1 cup plus a couple of handfuls. Absolutely delicious and a great gift idea too.