Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Another delicious recipe from my friend Hazel. When she served this everyone around the table was going "mmmmm"! I have served this MANY times and always get asked for the recipe when I do. This isn't a fast recipe, but well worth the time it takes to make it!
- 3 lbs stewing beef, in 1 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup Burgundy wine (or other dry red wine)
- 1 package good seasons Italian salad dressing mix
- Brown the beef in a small amount of oil until nice and brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer until the beef is very tender and starts to shred, a MINIMUM of 3 hours.
- Check as it simmers to make sure it doesn't dry out.
- Adding more water, wine, or beef broth as needed.
- But not until necessary.
- Serve on crusty hard rolls.
- We sometimes like to add sauteed pepper strips and a slice of Provolone cheese.
Out of this world delicious!! The flavor or the broth, burgundy wine and Italian dressing was scrumptious. I couldn't stop tasting it. The meat was very tender and easy to shred. I used toasted onion rolls to make the sandwiches with. Delicious! I just added a salad and a glass of merlot for the adults. Thanks for a great meal.
This was absolutely terrific. I served it on plain old hamburger buns, cause that's what I had around. Absolutely no leftovers here - in fact my husband called me at work the other night, fussing because he thought there would be some left in the fridge and he was craving it.
Delicious! I simmered the meat for almost 5 hours, and actually all I had to do was break up the meat a little with my hand potato masher! I did have one problem though, and it's probably my fault - I lightly salted and peppered the meat before browning it, so it was a bit on the salty side. I won't do that again next time! I served it on crusty Kaiser rolls,and sauteed some thick onion and green pepper slices to top, and bought slices of mozzarella. Also bought some peppericini,and made a side of buttered pasta with Parmesan. A very hearty meal.(even the Kiddo ate her whole sandwich - a rare thing indeed!) Thanks!