Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
I found this yummy recipe on Allrecipes and have been making it for about two years. Italian sausage is simmered in beer with bell peppers and red onions.
Top Review by bmcnichol
Hubby loved this. I did change the recipe a bit. I didn't add the tomato paste or the rest of the seasonings. The taste was awesome with the beer, peppers, onions and garlic. Hubby said I can make this again :)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lbs Italian sausages
- 3 red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 2 large red onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (12 ounce) cans beer
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat. Cook sausage until browned on all sides. Remove sausage from pan, and set aside.
- Pour in 1 can of beer to deglaze the pan, scraping up any blackened bits from the bottom. Place the red peppers, green peppers, onions and garlic in the pan. Stir in the remaining beer and the tomato paste. Season with oregano, cilantro, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until onions and peppers are tender.
- Slice the sausage into bite size pieces and add to the skillet. Cover and simmer until sausage is cooked through.