Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This very tasty and only five ingredients. Adapted from Fast Fix Five Ingredient cookbook.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage or 1 lb mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 green peppers or 2 yellow peppers, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups pasta sauce, your favorite
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups provolone cheese, grated
- 2 panini buns, split in half
- Heat the broiler.
- Sauté sausage on medium high heat breaking them up as you go. Cook until no longer pink, about 8-10 minute.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Discard fat from pan.
- In same pan over medium heat cook peppers for 10 minutes or until brown edges form.
- Return sausage to pan along with the sauce and simmer until almost all the liquid has evaporated.
- Transfer into bowl and add 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Place the bun halves on broiler pan.
- Divide and spread the sausage mixture on the halves.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Broil until bubbling and bread is crisp.
Very good recipe! I used hot italian turkey sausage and added some onion and garlic. I cooked the sausage, peppers, onion and garlic together to skip a step and it came out wonderfully. I served the sausage mixture on crusty italian hoagie rolls and topped with shredded italian four cheese. Yum! Thanks for a great and easy recipe.
Oh, yummy! Great sandwich for a late Saturday lunch. Wow were they filling, lol. I cooked up some mushrooms and onions with the peppers and mixed that with the sausage. I used mozzarella, lots and lots of mozzarella, lol!
This was good and easy to make. I used a pound and a half of sweet sausage. I then used a 14 ounce bag of frozen red and green peppers with onions. I cooked this all up and the added the sauce. I then put the mixture in the crockpot. I used mozzarella cheese. We all enjoyed these.