Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great comfort food, especially served with mashed potatoes. You can use hot Italian sausage if you like a little more spice to the casserole.
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage, cut into slices
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 apples, peeled and quartered (I use Mcintosh)
- 1 (27 ounce) can sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- In large skillet or Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion until sausage is brown and onion is tender Drain fat, stir in apples, sauerkraut, water, sugar and caraway.
- Put in a 21/2 quart covered baking dish and bake one hour.
- (I sometimes put this in the slow cooker on low for 3 0r 4 hours).
Unfortunately, this was not very well recieved in my house. I'd never had sauerkraut before, so I don't know if it was that or the caraway seeds that gave it such a strong flavor. I'd like to try this again, using plain shredded cabbage and maybe 1 tsp. caraway seed.
Yummy,My kind of food!!! I love Italian sausage and I love sauerkraut too,this recipe is a great tasting way to put them together.I didn't think I would like the apples in it,but if I had not made it the way it was written I couldn't give it a true rating,so I did as the recipe said,So I was pleasantly surprised when I really liked it this way.Thanks for a really good recipe.Darlene