- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 8 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups milk (skim is ok)
- 1 pint cream (light Cream or half and half is ok)
- 8 ounces gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 medium sweet onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium bell peppers, julienned (green, red, and yellow or any combination you prefer)
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs Italian sausages, cooked and cut in 1 inch pieces on the bias.
- 1 lb asparagus, cooked al dente (optional)
- 1 lb portabella mushroom, sliced and pre-sauteed (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs penne pasta, cooked per direction on package (Mini-penne's are a good choice)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning (or substitute basil and oregano)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large sauce pan melt butter over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic to sauce pan cook for a few minutes but do not brown.
- Whisk in the flour to make reux- cook for 3 to 5 minutes whisking constantly- do not let it brown.
- Whisk in milk and heat until boiling- whisk often, add some fresh ground pepper.
- Once sauce is thickened remove from heat and set aside (well get back to the this later).
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat add 3 Tbs olive oil add onions and slice the remaining garlic into pan sautee for 3 minutes until onion starts to soften.
- Add peppers, Italian seasoning cook for 5 minutes until Peppers begin to soften.
- Add cooked Sausage and warm through.
- Just before vegetable and meat mixture is finished- heat White sauce and stir in the cream, bring up to almost a boil and stir in parmesean and gorgonzola.
- Stir sauce until most of the gorgonzola is incorportated (lumps of cheese left in the sauce is a good thing!).
- Check cream sauce for salt add if necessary.
- In pasta bowls place Penne followed by Pepper onion meat mixture, then spoon on the Gorgonzola sauce, arrange mushrooms and asparagas on top.