1 hr 54 mins
1 hr 24 mins
This is from Bon Appetit Magazine and epicurious.com. The reviewers suggested adding a bit more sage and broth as it tends to dry out. I will personally not add the liver and maybe change the currants to cranberries because they are hard to find, but it got wonderful reviews, so I am definitely trying soon!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 cups white bread cubes (from crustless country-style white bread, 1/2-inch cubes from two 14.5-ounce loaves)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb italian sweet sausage, casings removed
- 8 ounces chicken livers, trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery & leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup coarsely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup dried currant
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Spread bread cubes on large rimmed baking sheet. Bake until bread is dry, about 15 minutes. Transfer to large bowl and cool. Maintain oven temperature.
- 2Generously butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- 3Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add sausages and sauté 5 minutes, breaking up with back of fork. Add chicken livers; sauté just until sausages and livers are cooked through, about 7 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage mixture to bowl with bread cubes.
- 4Add 1 tablespoon oil to same skillet.
- 5Add onions and next 4 ingredients; sauté until onions and celery are tender but not brown, about 10 minutes.
- 6Add onion mixture to bread cubes. Stir in 3/4 cup Parmesan, currants, parsley, salt, and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- 7Mix eggs and broth into stuffing; transfer to baking dish.
- 8Cover dish with foil. Bake 40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan and bake until top begins to brown, about 20 minutes.
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Livers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Sausage and Parmesan Cheese Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 185.4
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 119.5 mg
- Sodium 574.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 14.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white bread cubes