This hearty soup is just bursting with savory flavor - which is surprising considering how easy it is to make! I make it in the morning and then cool it and put it in the frig until about 30 minutes before dinner. While I'm warming the soup up, I cook my noodles.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, with liquid
- 4 (10 ounce) cans chicken broth (Campbell Soup)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb bulk sausage, thoroughly cooked
- 8 ounces penne pasta, cooked
- parmesan cheese
- Saute first 3 ingredients in large pot until onions are very tender.
- Add next 6 ingredients and simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Cool and store in frig for at least a couple of hours. Reheat and simmer for about 30 minutes before serving.
- Place cooked Penne noodles in bottom of soup bowl and ladle soup over noodles.
- Liberally sprinkle Parmesan Cheese on soup. (I like to add cheese, stir soup and add more!).
- Serve with French Bread or rolls.
- Note: Because I do not want the noodles to soak up the juice in my leftover soup, I do NOT add noodles directly to soup pot.