Savory Ham and Bean Soup
- Ready In:
- 4 (15 ounce) cans navy beans or (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth (low sodium if desired)
- 3 cups water
- In a large soup pot, add the beans, ham, onion, celery, thyme, pepper, and garlic; stir to combine.
- Add in chicken broth and water; stir.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat.
- Cover and let simmer 20-30-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I figured since the option to use different beans was there, I'd opt for a can each of dark red kidney, black and great northern beans along with some frozen corn for color. It worked well. No dried thyme so snipped a sprig of fresh rosemary and let simmer for about 20 minutes in the soup. Leftovers were yummy and because I like spicy stuff, added some green Tabasco the 2nd night. Mahalo!