Seafood, Pasta, and Bean Soup (Pasta E Fagioli Ai Frutti Di Mare
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
In '1,000 Italian Recipes' by Michele Scicolone
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 25mins
- 1 lb small mussels
- 1 lb small clam
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups drained cooked cannellini beans
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 lb calamari, cut into 1-inch rings
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 ounces spaghetti, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- extra virgin olive oil
- Place the mussels in cold water to cover for 30 minutes.
- Scrub them with a stiff brush and scrape off any barnacles or seaweed.
- Remove the beards by pulling them toward the narrow end of the shells.
- Discard any mussels with cracked shells or that do not shut tightly when tapped.
- Place the mussels in a large pot with 1/2 cup cold water.
- Cover the pot and bring to a simmer.
- Cook until the mussels open, about 5 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the mussels to a bowl.
- Place the clams in the pot and cover the pan.
- Cook until the clams open, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the clams from the pot.
- Strain the liquid in the pot through a paper coffee filter into a bowl and reserve.
- With your fingers, remove the clams and mussels from the shells and place them in a bowl.
- Pour the oil into a large pot.
- Add the pancetta, onion, and garlic.
- Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until tender and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, and calamari.
- Add the reserved juices from the shellfish.
- Bring to a simmer and cook 20 minutes.
- Stir in the seafood and cook until just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and salt to taste.
- Cook until tender.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the soup.
- Add a little of the pasta liquid if the soup seems too thick.
- Stir in the parsley.
- Serve hot, drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION