1/1 Photo of Italian Mixed Bean Soup
10 hrs 20 mins
This is my standard bean soup recipie that I've been using for a couple of years. It's highly adaptable and makes a pot big enough to feed myself and my bf one meal a day for a whole week. Generally I take it to work for an easy lunch. :) It looks like a lot of work to make but it's actually quite simple. The cooking time includes the 8 hours of soaking for the beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dried beans, mixed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 8 cups water
- 2 large bouillon cubes (vegetable)
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (italian seasoning or plain)
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (it doesn't make it spicy, just wakes up the flavors)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
- 1Pick through the dried beans and discard any shrivled or broken beans. Also watch out for tiny stones. You can use any mix of beans you like but my mix tends to inclue equal parts navy beans, pinto beans, and kidney beans.
- 2Put the beans in a large pot and add water enough to cover the beans by a good 3 inches. Cover and let soak for at least 8 hours or overnight. (alternately you can put the beans in a pot, cover with water, bring to a boil, cover and remove from heat, let stand for an hour. It yields a differnt texture but still yummy).
- 3Drain beans.
- 4Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onions and garlic until the onion becomes translucent or about 3 minutes. Add the celery and carrots, saute another 2-3 minutes.
- 5Add the 8 cups of water and bullion cubes. Bring to a boil. Cover and lower heat to simmer. Simmer for 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- 6Add lentils, tomatoes, spinach, ground red pepper, oregano, and basil. Cover and simmer 20 minutes more.
- 7Both beans and lentils should be soft at this point. If they are not let them simmer longer.
- 8Add salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Mixed Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 125.9
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 182.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: