Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
When we moved out to a friend’s farm the house we were renting didn’t have an oven or stovetop (bar the wood burning one that filled the kitchen with smoke). So all my cooking was restricted to an electric frying pan and a microwave oven. After experimenting for a few weeks I came up with this little number which is super easy and full of flavour
- 2 chicken thighs, with bones (you could use another part of the chicken if you wanted)
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice
- 400 g diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 large zucchini (diced)
- 1⁄2 large carrot (diced)
- 4 mushrooms (diced)
- 1⁄2 diced onion (white, red or spring)
- 8 olives (with pips)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- Put rice, water & tomatoes in a 2 or 3L microwave safe dish and mix.
- On top of that add the zucchini, carrot, mushrooms, onion, olives and basil leaves.
- Sit the chicken on top and sprinkle the stock powder on the vegetables and the chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the dish with a lid (microwave safe) or cling wrap and cook for 40 minutes on 90% power. I use an 1100watt oven but I wouldn’t worry about altering the time if yours is less powerful.
I really enjoyed this recipe and will make it again in the future. It was perfect today as it was hot and humid and I really didn't feel like cooking. I did not have any mushrooms so I left those out. I used an entire carrot and zucchini and used 2 cooked chicken breasts that I had on hand. It only took 25 minutes in my microwave to cook the rice and the kitchen smelled wonderful with all the fresh basil. The serving size was off for our family, we had enough for the four of us. Thanks for creating this recipe for us to enjoy.