Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a macaroni and cheese with an extra twist.
- 1 lb brown rice pasta
- 1 lb hot Italian chicken sausage
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 large garlic cloves, finely diced
- 12 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 -2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 16 ounces shredded cheese (can include cheddar, colby, whatever cheese you like)
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in boiling water as per package directions until done.
- Fry sausage in 2 T olive oil until cooked thoroughly, breaking up into small pieces while cooking.
- When sausage is done, transfer to a bowl.
- Add, 2 T olive oil (or more if needed) to pan. Add mushrooms, garlic, butter. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Saute, stirring frequently, until mushrooms become somewhat limp.
- Add flour and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in chicken stock and milk. Bring to a boil and let it bubble and thicken.
- Stir in tomatoes and hot sauce.
- Add cheese, stir and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in sausage.
- Mix into pasta and serve.
I made this dish last night and it was fantastic!!! I had something similar to this at Olive Garden and have always wondered how to make it. This is my new favorite dinner; it was easy, quick and soooo tasty! I used turkey sausage and normal white pasta. I also substituted heavy cream for milk. Yummy, yummy yummy!!!