This is a macaroni and cheese with an extra twist.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb brown rice pasta
- 1 lb hot Italian chicken sausage
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 large garlic cloves, finely diced
- 12 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 -2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 16 ounces shredded cheese (can include cheddar, colby, whatever cheese you like)
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese
- 1Cook pasta in boiling water as per package directions until done.
- 2Fry sausage in 2 T olive oil until cooked thoroughly, breaking up into small pieces while cooking.
- 3When sausage is done, transfer to a bowl.
- 4Add, 2 T olive oil (or more if needed) to pan. Add mushrooms, garlic, butter. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Saute, stirring frequently, until mushrooms become somewhat limp.
- 6Add flour and saute for a couple of minutes.
- 7Stir in chicken stock and milk. Bring to a boil and let it bubble and thicken.
- 8Stir in tomatoes and hot sauce.
- 9Add cheese, stir and simmer 5 minutes.
- 10Stir in sausage.
- 11Mix into pasta and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Macaroni and Cheese (Modified Rachael Ray Recipe)
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.6
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 65.6 mg
- Sodium 1041.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 19.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
brown rice pasta
Italian chicken sausage