Delectable sweets from Italy. Perfectly crunchy.
Make and share this Italian Honey Balls (Pignolata or Struffoli) recipe from Food.com.
- Mix dough ingredients well. Knead on floured board. Let dough rest for a while.
- Roll dough into 1/4 inch thick pieces.
- Cut dough into 1/4 strips and roll thin (thinner than a pencil).
- Cut off pieces of rolls making tiny pieces (smaller than peas).
- Deep fry in oil. Drain well on paper towels.
- Meanwhile heat honey and sugar. Boil for 15 minutes.
- Stir hot syrup into dough pieces. Stir in almonds.
- Using finger tips dipped in ice water carefully pour mixture onto board. Make into individual size cirles (golf ball size).
- Warning this is very hot so use cooled fingers and spatula to shape but you must work quickly as it hardens quickly.
- Some put sprinkles on top but that is optional.