Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Old fashioned Italian Christmas cookies. Very easy to make and yummy too! This recipe was adopted from Taste of Home.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) carton ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3 -4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 -4 tablespoons milk
- colored sprinkles
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in ricotta and vanilla.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a bowl, cream butter, sugar and vanilla. Add enough milk until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cooled cookies and immediately decorate with sprinkles. Store in the refrigerator.
I've never made ricotta cookies before so was really looking forward to the finished cookies! This does make a lot of cookies, but they're delicious and so more-ish! I used some cute little snow flakes and Christmas coloured sprinkles to ensure they were festive enough. Just brilliant, they're really little cookies, so it's incredibly easy to eat 5!!
First, this recipe makes A LOT of cookies. But they are small 2-bite jobs that have a wonderful cake-like texture.