Recipe by SparkleKristy
This is a go to recipe for me for pot luck. It is always a hit. Even among people who don't think they like beans or greens. If I make it as a side dish instead of a main, I substitute quartered sauteed mushrooms for the Italian sausage. The Kale is one of the big bags in the produce section. Of course, you can chop your own. I also roast my own garlic on the weekends and save in a jar. It's really worth it for this dish. This is great on it's own, on top of or with with slices of crusty bread. It's hard to mess this dish up. Just don't under cook the kale or it will be too tough.
Top Review by rcon55_8757647
Like any other recipe I find, I have to 'tweak it' a little bit. I would add some canned chickpeas for a little texture (crunch )Drained of course. You put them in the last 15 minutes of cooking ,just to warm them through. GREAT RECIPE!! Live a little and find your own tweaks and you will be amazed at what you can do. For those a little timid about changing recipes, STOP THE MADNESS and get adventurous!!<br/>Bon Appetit !......Rusty
- 1 (16 ounce) bag kale (can sub raw baby spinach, do not pre cook)
- 3 (12 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed
- 4 large shallots, chopped (can sub onion)
- 2 -3 tablespoons roasted garlic (can sub sauteed garlic)
- 1 lb Italian sausage (or mushrooms)
- olive oil
- sea salt
- black pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer kale in a large pot of salted water until al dente, drain.
- (Can refrigerate kale after cooked for dish preparation at another time.).
- Pre-heat a large pot or frying pan. Add olive oil to taste.
- Saute chopped shallot until translucent.
- Remove skin from the Italian sausage, Break up into bite sized chunks.
- Add sausage to the shallots and brown / cook sausage completely.
- Add drained beans to the sausage.
- Add roasted garlic, sea salt and pepper to taste and stir / flip mixture gently while cooking for 5 minutes.
- If the beans start to stick, add a little water.
- Add cooked kale.
- Add a little water to make a small amount of thick sauce.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Also very good made a head and reheated.
- It will keep for a week.