Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I just threw this together tonight and my family liked the attempt. However, it is missing something. We just can't seem to agree on what. If anyone attempts to make this and finds that missing ingredient, I will add it and give credit. :-)
- 1 (16 ounce) package egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cube
- 1 (8 ounce) package baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup roasted red pepper, sliced into small strips
- 1 (10 ounce) package Philadelphia Original Cooking Creme
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- white pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions.
- In a saute pan, saute onions and garlic in olive oil until onions are clear.
- Add chicken and heat until browned.
- Add mushrooms and cook until softened.
- Mix chicken broth with cooking creme and poor over chicken mixture.
- Add roasted red pepper and spices and allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- If too thin (mine was). Mix a teaspoon of cornstarch with a little more chicken broth (1/8 cup?) and add to pan. Mix well to thicken.
- Serve over egg noodles.
I think this would be great with a can of Rotel in it to give it a bit of a kick. It does need a bit of something.
First of all, I would saute the chicken first, then remove from the pan. Then add a little more oil and saute the onions and mushrooms. Then stir in a tablespoon of flour to thicken, and mix in throroughly, cooking on medium heat for about 1 minute to get rid of the flour taste. Then slowly whisk in the broth so eliminate any lumps. Then the cream cheese. Then proceed with the rest of the recipe, adding the chicken back into pan; but I would also add about a 1/2 teaspoon of celery seed to the seasonings to give it a little zip.