Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
From The Low Fat Jewish Cookbook by Faye Levy.
Make and share this Israeli Rice and Lentil Stew with Cumin and Garlic recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups water or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain rice
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (optional)
- Sort the lentils carefully, discarding any stones.
- Rinse lentils, then combine with the water in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cover and cook over medium heat about 20 minutes or until the lentils are just tender.
- Drain the liquid into a measuring cup, leaving the lentils in the pan and add enough water to make 3 cups.
- In a heavy skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute, stirring occasionally, until they are well browned, about 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cumin and saute 30 seconds; reserve.
- Add reserved lentil cooking liquid to pan of lentils and bring to a boil.
- Add salt and rice and return to a boil.
- Add the onion mixture.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, without stirring, until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Fluff gently with a fork.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and lightly stir in parsley if desired.
- Serve hot.
This is absolutely delicious. My husband, Huey, couldn't get enough. I made one change, however. Since I use brown rice, which takes longer to cook, i cooked the rice separately until it was almost done. Then I put everything together and heated it all up. I like it with a dollop of Yogurt.
I''ve made this recipe several times now, and I like it better each time! It tastes great served warm with a cucumber raita or plain chilled curds. I use a lot more onions than the recipe calls for too. Thanks for sharing this Mirjam! :)
I certainly am not a vegetarian but I do like rice and lentils. This made a great meal. I stuffed some in a tortilla with BBQ sauce and hot sauce and loved it!! Am looking forward to the leftovers at a later date (froze the leftovers). Thanks Mirjam.