1 hr 5 mins
From The Low Fat Jewish Cookbook by Faye Levy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sort the lentils carefully, discarding any stones.
- 2Rinse lentils, then combine with the water in a large saucepan.
- 3Bring to a boil, cover and cook over medium heat about 20 minutes or until the lentils are just tender.
- 4Drain the liquid into a measuring cup, leaving the lentils in the pan and add enough water to make 3 cups.
- 5In a heavy skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- 6Add the onions and saute, stirring occasionally, until they are well browned, about 15 minutes.
- 7Add the garlic and cumin and saute 30 seconds; reserve.
- 8Add reserved lentil cooking liquid to pan of lentils and bring to a boil.
- 9Add salt and rice and return to a boil.
- 10Add the onion mixture.
- 11Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, without stirring, until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- 12Fluff gently with a fork.
- 13Season to taste with salt and pepper and lightly stir in parsley if desired.
- 14Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Israeli Rice and Lentil Stew with Cumin and Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.7
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 8.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 6.9 g