There are as many variations of colcannon as there are households in Ireland, usually it has milk in it, with this vegetarian/vegan version the milk is omitted. For a variation form the colcannon into patties and fry for breakfast. If you eat eggs, crack open eggs into small pockets on top of the colcannon and bake until cooked covered. This is a very satisfying, inexpensive dish to serve
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed (not really Irish) (optional)
- 4 cups washed, shredded savoy cabbage
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 -4 cups green kale, washed,stalks removed and shredded
- salt & pepper
- Boil the potatoes until tender (20-30 minutes).
- Remove potatoes from water and save 1 cup of the liquid.
- Mash the potatoes, add salt& pepper and as much liquid as needed to make the potatoes fluffy.
- While the potatoes are cooking put 1 tbsp butter (marg) in a skillet and saute the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent (10 min) over medium heat.
- Add savoy cabbage and 1/2 cup water.
- Cover and cook until the cabbage is tender.
- Heat oven to 350F degrees.
- In another skillet add 2 cups water and cook the kale until tender, 4-5 minutes, Drain well.
- Mix everything together, Season well.
- Place mixture in a casserole dish top with the 1/2 teas butter, bake for 15-20 minutes to reheat.