1/1 Photo of Irish Vegetarian Colcannon
1 hr 15 mins
There are as many variations of colcannon as there are households in Ireland, usually it has milk in it, with this vegetarian/vegan version the milk is omitted. For a variation form the colcannon into patties and fry for breakfast. If you eat eggs, crack open eggs into small pockets on top of the colcannon and bake until cooked covered. This is a very satisfying, inexpensive dish to serve
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed (not really Irish) (optional)
- 4 cups washed, shredded savoy cabbage
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 -4 cups green kale, washed,stalks removed and shredded
- salt & pepper
- 1Boil the potatoes until tender (20-30 minutes).
- 2Remove potatoes from water and save 1 cup of the liquid.
- 3Mash the potatoes, add salt& pepper and as much liquid as needed to make the potatoes fluffy.
- 4While the potatoes are cooking put 1 tbsp butter (marg) in a skillet and saute the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent (10 min) over medium heat.
- 5Add savoy cabbage and 1/2 cup water.
- 6Cover and cook until the cabbage is tender.
- 7Heat oven to 350F degrees.
- 8In another skillet add 2 cups water and cook the kale until tender, 4-5 minutes, Drain well.
- 9Mix everything together, Season well.
- 10Place mixture in a casserole dish top with the 1/2 teas butter, bake for 15-20 minutes to reheat.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Vegetarian Colcannon
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 198.9
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 6.7 mg
- Sodium 54.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 5.2 g