Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from my "Irish Cooking" cookbook.
Make and share this Irish Cheddar Crisps recipe from Food.com.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup water, cold
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- Mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking soda in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese, water, and vinegar with fork until mixture forms soft dough. Cover dough and refrigerate 1 hour or freeze 30 minutes until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 2 large cookie sheets. Divide dough into 4 pieces. Roll each piece into paper-thin circle on floured surface. Sprinkle with pepper; press pepper firmly into dough.
- Cut each circle into 8 wedges; place wedges on prepared cookie sheets. Bake about 10 minutes or until crisp. Store in airtight container for up to 3 days.