Recipe by Dienia B.
From sooogood. Do not make this in a rice cooker. It is not Chinese food. Because the rice is steam cooked, it is important not to open lid while cooking, and to add the correct amount of water. One recipe uses ketchup, not tomato paste. I am adding the option of adding more water for a mushier rice per UmmBinat's suggestion since she is from the region and would know. Cook to your taste.
Top Review by duonyte
Well, Dienia, I took your challenge and made it in the rice cooker. I made it in the skillet through the rice being browned. I transferred that to the rice cooker, added the tomato paste and other ingredients, using the amount of water needed for 1 rice cooker cup worth of rice, and let it cook. Turned out nice and fluffy, not sticky at all. The rice is very mildly flavored, a perfect foil for highly seasoned food, but I'd like more seasoning if it were to accompany a plain meat.
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste or 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash rice 3 times. We are not making sticky rice here.
- Saute onion in olive oil or veggie oil ,on medium heat for about 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add rice until all grains are cooked.
- Add water with tomato paste and salt and pepper mixed inches.
- Turn flame up to high.
- When mixture comes to a boil, cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Reduce to a simmer; allow to cook 20 minutes; turn off heat.