Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
A bit spicy, this dairy free soup makes a fast, complete meal
Make and share this Indian Spiced Sweet Potato Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lb sweet potato, cubed
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth, plus
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium chickpeas
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves, packed
- In a large soup pot, heat oil and saute onion, potatoes, and garlic until onion is just tender, about 3 minute Add spices and cook stirring for 30 seconds. Add 2 cups broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minuts, until potatoes are tender.
- Add coconut milk and stir to mix. Transfer about half the soup to a food processor and process until smooth. Return to pot and add additional 1/2 cup broth if needed to thin. Stir in chickpeas and spinach and cook for 2 minute more, until spinach is just wilted. Season with salt and pepper, and serve hot.
- Add more beans and spinach for a heartier texture. Round out the meal with warm pita bread, chutney, and cucumbers and shredded carrots topped with plain yogurt.