Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Depending on how many chilies you use, this is a mildly spiced and lovely aromatic dish. I use small plaice fillets, rolled up and secured with a wooden skewer (remove them before serving) for this fish dish, but it is just as nice with other white fish. Serve with plain white rice, green peas and a cucumber salad.
- 1 lb white fish fillet, cut up in chunks
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 -3 green chilies, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds, ground (If you have whole seeds dry roast them for a few minutes in a frying pan and then grind them.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- chopped fresh coriander
- Heat the butter and fry the onions until limp, add the green chilies and the ginger, fry for a few minutes Mix yoghurt, cream, turmeric, fenugreek and the cardamom, add this to the frying pan and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the fish to the sauce, simmer for another 10 minutes or until the fish is done Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle the coriander over it.
This was so nice. My boyfriend made it when it was his turn to cook, and he likes chillies more than me (and he didn't deseed them), so it was a little on the hot side, but it was so lovely and creamy. We used trout fillets instead, but it was really really lovely. I'm making it next time, without the chilli seeds though!! Thank you :o)
This was lovely.I used Hake loins and served it with a almond rice pilaf.
We enjoyed this recipe very much. Used Haddock and it worked nicely. Didn't have fenugreek seeds so substituted with 1/2 tsp. ground mustard. Next time will probably experiment with a few additional spices, will make sure I use large chunks of fish to avoid it from getting flaky too fast. Thanks for the recipe- pleasant and different.