Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another one from "Modern Spice" by Monica Bhide that I want to save.
Make and share this Indian Shrimp Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into fine matchsticks
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small serrano chili, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup basmati rice, well rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- minced fresh cilantro (to garnish)
- Heat oil over medium heat in a deep, lidded saucepan. Add onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger and cook another minute. Add the tomato and stir mixture. Cook about another 10 minutes until completely cooked. If this sticks or gets to dry, add a little water.
- Add remaining ingredients up to the rice and mix well. Cook for another few minutes and then add the shrimp. Mix well and then add the rice and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and cover pan. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is done and most of the water has evaporated.
- Removed from heat and let sit, covered for about 5 minutes and then fluff rice with a fork. (Shrimp will have settled to the bottom).
- Garnish with the cilantro and serve.