Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A wonderful side dish to go with your curry. Dhal (lentils) are an important food in India and are eaten at most meals. This recipe adds a new dimension to Dhal with the added tomato and Eggplant. One of my Indian friends sent me the recipe and I'm very pleased that he did. The preparation and cooking is so simple anyone can cook this.
- 1 cup red lentil
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 large aubergine, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 green chilies, chopped
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 dried red chilies, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- juice of one lemon
- Boil the lentils with the turmeric in the water till soft. Remove from the Heat and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a small pan and fry the seeds till they splutter.
- Add the green chillies, eggplant, chilli powder and salt.
- Fry for 30 seconds and add the tomato.
- Cook till the tomato and aubergine is soft, add the lemon juice
- Add the lentil mixture to the spiced vegetables, reduce the heat and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve as a side to a good curry and enjoy.
I'm not the biggest fan of lentils but this one won me round! And my gran loved it, so definitely five stars from me!