Spaghetti With Tomato and Aubergine (Eggplant) Sauce
I had made this for a party at mt best friend's home (who is a vegetarian) from the cookbook Catwalk Cuisine. It was a hit! Called Pasta Puttanesca by the author
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 500 g aubergines
- salt, to sprinkle on aubergine
- olive oil, for shallow frying
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 small dried red chilies, crumbled or 2 teaspoons chili flakes
- 1 cup black olives, stoned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 kg large frsh tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 1 sprig fresh oregano or 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 500 g spaghetti
- fresh basil leaf
- grated parmesan cheese
- Cut aubergine into cubes and sprinkle with salt.
- Drain and pat dry after 15-20 mins Heat oil for frying aubergine in a frying pan and shallow fry till golden brown Drain and set aside Heat virgin olive oil in a pan, add garlic, chilli flakes or chillies and cook for a minute or till garlic just begins to turn colour.
- Mix in olives, capers, tomatoes, puree and dried seasoning or fresh herbs Season with salt and pepper to taste Cover pan and cook sauce on low heat for 30-35 minutes.
- or till tomatoes are cooked through and sauce has thickened Add fried aubergine cubes and remove from heat.
- Cook spaghetti according to packet instructions.
- Drain and add spaghetti to sauce Add basil leaves and toss pasta in sauce till well coated Serve immediately with grated Parmesan on the side.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation