Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
this is a muffin I make with my son to put in his lunches. it is adapted from a friends zucchini muffin recipe. there is zucchini, carrots, bananas and applesauce, wholesome, sweet, moist, and irresistible. I don't have to hide the veggies, they are part of what makes them worth eating.
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded, and drained of extra liquid
- 1 cup carrot, shredded and drained of extra liquid
- 2 eggs
- 2 small bananas, smashed
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- mix wet ingredients together well, mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl, combine the two by hand.
- pour batter into loaf pans or pour batter into mini muffin or regular muffin pans.
- bake in 350 degree oven.
- to get the most liquid out of the zucchini and carrots, freeze and defrost the shredded vegetables, the liquid will easily be squeezed out and contribute to a thicker batter, without doing this the batter will be a bit runnier and tend not to rise as nicely.
Lovely recipe that I will definitely use again! I threw in some fresh dates and some raisins and didn't use a full cup of chocolate chips or walnuts but perhaps just 3/4 each... They turned out Amazing. So fluffy even though I used whole wheat flour - this is a keeper!
These are wonderful moist muffins, and the house smells so great! The only thing I did different was that I used mini chocolate chips. I sprinkled them on top of the muffins before baking.