1/3 Photos of Ice Cream Sandwiches
48 hrs 10 mins
Elise and I love to bake together. Once a year, my son Thomas, my daughter-in-law Supa, and granddaughter Elise come to visit us in Virginia, and I go visit them in Texas This year,on their visit from Texas, Elise and I decided to make Ice Cream Sandwiches for the Newtown Ice Cream Social. This was exciting for both of us! We made the ice cream the day before. The Sandwich Brownie needs to be made early in the day to allow for lots of assembly and freeze time. This is not a fast recipe!! The recipe has many sources. This was inspired by the Ice Cream Sandwich molds from Williams Sonoma, my standard vanilla ice cream, an adaptation of their recipe for brownies, and our experience. I put it all together to make something we could more easily follow. This is what grandmothers and their grandchildren were meant to do... cook and bake together, sharing the fun and love.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
the Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
the Sandwich Brownie
- 1First make the ice cream.
- 2Scald milk over low heat, but do not boil.
- 3Stir in sugar and salt until dissolved.
- 4Beat the egg yolks in the top part of a double boiler, but do not put over the bottom section, and the hot water, yet.
- 5Slowly add the milk, a little at a time, to the beaten egg yolks, beingcareful not to heat the eggs too quickly, and continuing to beat mixture.
- 6Place double boiler together, and cook over hot water, until mixture is thick and smooth.
- 8Add vanilla extract, whipping cream, and half and half.
- 9Fold this mixture into the custard.
- 10Churn freeze.
- 11Pack in tub and place in freezer.
- 12Then make the Sandwich.
- 13In the top of a large double boiler, combine butter and chocolate. (Have heat on barely simmer.).
- 14Heat about 4 minutes, stirring often, until melted. During these 4 minutes, do the next 2 steps.
- 15Line an 11"x17" cookie sheet/pan (one with sides) with parchment paper.
- 16Put flour and cocoa powder in sifter on a piece of wax paper.
- 17Remove butter/chocolate mixture from heat and stir in sugar and salt.
- 18Add eggs and vanilla and blend well.
- 19Sift in flour/cocoa mixture and stir until just blended.
- 20pour batter onto parchment lined pan and spread to even thickness.
- 21Bake at 375 degrees F (190 C) 8-10 minutes, or until testing with toothpick comes out clean.
- 22Cool on rack for at least an hour.
- 23Finally build the Ice Cream Sandwich.
- 24Cut the Sandwich Brownie into 5ths lengthwise, and 8ths crosswise. (making 40 blocks).
- 25Take ice cream out of freezer and allow to soften slightly, just enough to scoop, but firm enough not to melt while you are working. If the ice cream gets too soft, put it back in the freezer and be patient. Continue when ice cream is hard again.
- 26Spread ice cream on first cut out shape about 1" thick or less, following shape of the cut out.
- 27Place second cut out on top of ice cream, press down slightly. Place on wax paper lined tray and put into your freezer.
- 28This is the hardest part, getting them into the freezer without too much melt down. If the sides are sloppy, you can trim them with a sharp knife, after you finish the last one.
- 29Freeze for 2-3 hours before serving.
- 30If freezing for longer, wrap individually in plastic wrap as soon as they get hard.
- 31Will keep for up to a week, though best used within 3 days.
- 32Alternative cutting.
- 33Using cookie cutter, cut out an even number of shapes from cooled brownie. (don't worry if there is an odd number, you can eat that one when no one is looking). Follow rest of above assembly instructions. This will make less sandwiches, as there is a lot of waste in the cutting. These scraps can be reserved to serve with bowls of ice cream.
- 34Elise gave me Ice Cream Sandwich Molds. This is fairly easy, once you get the hang of it. The scraps can be mushed into the mold to work like the cut outs.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ice Cream Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (91 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 266.2
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 91.4 mg
- Sodium 184.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 20.1 g
- Protein 3.9 g