Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
We made these for a wedding rehearsal brunch, hence the "cutsie" name. This began as a unique Sunset recipe using mostly fresh ingredients and ended up my favorite way to create a great Mary or Marie. One simply isn't enough, so have lots of vodka (or tequila) & tomato juice on hand. Add or subtract ingredient amounts to make as spicy or tame as you or your guests will enjoy.
- 1 cup vodka (or tequila)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 -3 garlic clove
- 1 -3 fresh jalapeno, seeded & sliced
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves (or 1/2 t. dried)
- 3 -4 fresh basil leaves (or 1/2 t. dried)
- 1 -3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 -3 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 4 teaspoons prepared horseradish (or more)
- 1 -3 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill weed (or fresh dill)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
Bloody Ice Cubes
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 -2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- In a blender, combine vodka with onion, garlic, jalapeno, oregano, basil, lemon & lime juice, and Tabasco. Puree until smooth.
- Put tomato juice, horseradish, Worcestershire and remaining spices in a large pitcher. Strain the blender puree mixture into the pitcher (push through a fine sieve) and discard the puree. Stir well.
- Serve in tall ice filled glasses or glass mugs and garnish with your choice of lime wedges, celery ribs, pickle wedges, pickled asparagus or pickled green beans.
- To kick it up a notch, freeze ice cube ingredients the night before in ice cube trays and use rather than "plain" ice.
- For a special touch, first wet the rim of each glass with a lime wedge and dip in a mixture of seasoned salt, lemon pepper, & fine lemon or lime zest. I also add a splash of my secret ingredient to each serving "Busha Browne's Spicy Hot Pepper Sherry". It's hard to find, but worth the search.
- If you prefer, try using tequila instead of vodka for a "South of the Border" wedding brunch.