Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Light golden balls of cornmeal teaming with lots and lots of flavor. Served in the south with fried fish and/or soups or salads
- Mix meal, flour, egg, and milk.
- This should be thick.
- Add onion and bell pepper. Mix well.
- Then add jalapeño and hot sauce.
- Refrigerate until thicker.
- Drop by spoonfuls off into the hot oil and fry until brown.
- Very light and fluffy.
- A hush puppy should not be packy.
- This sounds hot but the frying makes the jalapeño sweet and the hot sauce only adds flavor.
- Salt lightly after taking out of oil onto paper towels.
- This is my own recipe.
This recipe is great but I made two versions of this, one with the pepper and hot sauce and one without. The ones without the hot sauce and pepper tasted more like Southern puppies and tasted better.
I read the instructions several times to see where I went wrong, and decided that I'd done it exactly as given here. We didn't really care for it at all (unanimous). I was looking for a hushpuppie recipe and this isn't hushpuppies. Sorry, but I'd expect honest critique on my recipe just the same.
Thank you Margie for a wonderful recipe. I was called upon to make the Hughpuppies for my sons annual fishfry. My mother was unable to make them for him this year - and I couldn't find her recipe. So I went searching and found yours. It was the hit of the party! Linda