From Tyler Florence's Ultimate Series on Food Network.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 head garlic, halved
- 1/2 lb small rigatoni pasta
- extra virgin olive oil
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3/4 lb loose sweet Italian pork sausage
- 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 celery ribs, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed plum tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (28 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley leaves, finely minced
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 12 slices baguette
- 1 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1Combine the stock and halved garlic head in a big saucepan and simmer for about 15 minutes to give the stock a nice, garlicky taste; strain out the garlic. Keep warm.
- 2Bring a pot of salted water to boil for the rigatoni.
- 3Pour 1/4 cup olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the sage, rosemary and thyme and warm the oil over medium heat to infuse it with the flavor of the herbs, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up the sausage with the side of a big spoon until well browned. Chop the carrots, celery, and onion in a food processor. Add to the saucepan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until the vegetables are softened but not browned.
- 4To the pan with the sausage stir in the crushed tomatoes, bay leaf, cannelloni beans, and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- 5Cook the rigatoni in the boiling water for 6 minutes; it should be slightly underdone. Drain and stir into the simmering soup. Add the parsley, and salt and coarsely ground black pepper, to taste. Discard the bay leaf and herb sprigs.
- 6To serve, preheat the broiler. Put the baguette slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with the Parmigiano and broil until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown, about 3 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls and float a couple of the baguette slices on top.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hunter's Minestrone
Serving Size: 1 (1015 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1180.0
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 94.2 mg
- Sodium 2748.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 166.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.1 g
- Sugars 16.1 g
- Protein 58.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves
fresh parsley leaves