Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
We traditionally have this soup during the Passover week.
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage (, 1 & 1/4 pounds - or more)
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- caraway seed (optional)
- yogurt (optional)
- Combine everything except the carraway seeds and yogurt in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for an hour.
- When serving, garnish with yogurt and carraway seeds, if desired.
Wow. Impressive for such simple, inexpensive ingredients! I out some caraway seed right in the soup as well as for garnish. This is yummy, filling and quite healthy. Loved the cool yogurt dallop. Yum! Thanx for sharing this one!
I've made this soup several times now and absolutely love it.
I have just made this wonderful soup. I made some changes...due to pantry items i had on hand. I didn't have tomato juice...but I had V8 juice... added garlic, salt and pepper and smoked paprika and some hot pepper flakes (personal preference). I just finished a bowl and I must say it is a very satisfing meal. Thanks so much for posting. Will be using this in my soup rotation this winter.