2 hrs 30 mins
I'm German/American and sauerkraut was a must in our house. Growing up in Germany for 23 years we had it often and in many different varieties. Many times Mom made it just with hamhogs or smoked pigs feet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Drain sauerkraut pressing excess liquid out.
- 2Rinse sauerkraut once or twice until the flavor is mild.
- 3Melt bacon in a dutch oven or casserole; when hot add, onion and sweet paprika.
- 4Saute for about 8 minutes or until onions are soft.
- 5Add sauerkraut,stock and caraway seeds.
- 6Cover and simmer slowly for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- 7To thicken sauerkraut, stir 2-3 tablespoons flour into 1 cup of sour cream and add to sauerkraut.
- 8Simmer for 10 more minutes.
- 9Season with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar if necessary.
- 10If you like to add some sausages or some other"wurst" that would be fine too.
- 11Add it during the last 1/2 hour of cookin.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungarian Sauerkraut
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 148.4
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 16.8 mg
- Sodium 1521.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: